Anthony Gustav (Tony) de Rothschild (1887-1961)
Anthony Gustav (Tony) de Rothschild was born in 1887. After earning a double first in history at Trinity College Cambridge, where he was a tennis blue, Anthony joined the family firm. Within two years he had joined the Royal Bucks Hussars, serving from 1915 to 1918 and rising to the rank of major. He was wounded at Gallipoli and mentioned in despatches. Anthony married Yvonne Cahen d'Anvers on 10 June 1926 and lived with her at Ascott. He was a keen horseman and judicious collector of Chinese porcelain. In 1950, he gave Ascott and the greater part of his art collection to the National Trust.
The period through which Anthony guided the London house could not have been more arduous. He was a partner from 1917 until 1961. The interwar years, dull times for merchant banks, were largely dominated at NMR by the operation to support the Creditanstalt in which the Viennese House was heavily involved. In the 1930s and during the Second World War, Anthony personally and the bank institutionally committed significant resources to assist Jewish refugees from Europe while maintaining the family's commitments to a number of Anglo-Jewish institutions. He became an active, life-long President of Norwood (then the Jews' Hospital and Orphan Asylum) in 1918, and of the Jews' Free School. Anthony was a founder of the Central British Fund for Jewish Relief and Rehabilitation until ill health forced him to stand down in 1957. From 1948 to 1956 he was Chairman of the Governors of St Mary's Hospital, Paddington.
He died on 5 February 1961, remembered as 'not only a charming companion, but a man of high principles and great integrity'.
For private papers of Anthony de Rothschild, registered into NMR file series XI/35 see Partners' Room, Anthony Gustav de Rothschild »
Anthony Gustav de Rothschild, press cuttings, 1919
000/830, 1 item
Newspaper article entitled ‘The Democratic Mr Anthony’, from B’ Nai B’rith News, September 1919.
Anthony Gustav de Rothschild, photographs, 1935-1950
000/823, 000/1728, 3 items
Black and white photograph of Anthony Gustav de Rothschild, three-quarter profile, wearing pin stripe three-piece suit, in late middle age; two black and white photographs of Anthony Gustav de Rothschild.
Anthony Gustav de Rothschild, 'The Anthony de Rothschild Collection of Chinese Ceramics', catalogue, 1996
000/832, 000/2305, 2 sets of 2 volumes
Two duplicate sets of the two-volume catalogue The Anthony de Rothschild Collection of Chinese Ceramics, by Regina Krahl (London: Eranda Foundation, 1996). Half title, title printed in blue and black, colour photographic frontispieces and plates tipped-in throughout. Text in English. Original cloth, slipcase. Limited edition of 750 copies. The work is a finely illustrated catalogue of a select collection of Chinese ceramics, dating from the Han to Qing periods. Anthony de Rothschild inherited the works of art at Ascott from his father and added to the collections with the acquisition of a vast array of books, English furniture, paintings, and more than 400 pieces of Chinese ceramics. The ceramics remain on display at Ascott House.