Dorothy, Mrs James de Rothschild (née Pinto) (1895-1988)
Dorothy Mathilde de Rothschild was an English philanthropist and activist for Jewish affairs. Known to her friends as "Dolly", she married James Armand de Rothschild (1878-1957) in 1913. In 1922, James inherited Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire, which became their county home. Dorothy assisted her husband in his political campaigns, particularly from 1929 to 1945 when he was Liberal Member of Parliament for the Isle of Ely constituency.
After James' death in 1957, Waddesdon Manor was bequeathed to the National Trust, but the surrounding estate and small mansion at Eythrope in Buckinghamshire were retained by Dorothy and she remained a strong influence on the preservation and development of the house and collections at Waddesdon. Dorothy became chairman of Yad Hanadiv, the Rothschild family charities in Israel, and saw through her husband's gift of funds to build the Knesset and her own gift of the Supreme Court of Israel building.
She bequeathed Waddesdon to her husband's great nephew Jacob, 4th Lord Rothschild in 1988.
Further papers relating to James and Dorothy are held by The Archive, Windmill Hill, Waddesdon Manor »
Dorothy de Rothschild, private papers, 1949
000/1212, 000/1580, 2 items
Two copies of the Order of Service at the Laying of the Foundation Stone of the first wing of the Jewish Home for the Blind 'Rokefield' by Mrs. James de Rothschild, 12 June 1949.