Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

148, Piccadilly, London

Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) acquired the lease of 148 Piccadilly in the early 1840s, and the neighbouring property, 147 Piccadilly in the late 1850s.  Between 1859 and 1860 the two houses were merged according to designs by Thomas Nelson and Charles Innes.  The house passed to Nathaniel (‘Natty’), 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915) and after his death to his wife Emma, Lady Rothschild (1844-1937) and then to Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990). In 1937 the property was auctioned and was later demolished to ease traffic congestion.

Further information about 148, Piccadilly »

Estates: 148, Piccadilly, receipts, 1857

000/2250, 2 items

Receipt from the Crown Office of Woods for rent on Lionel de Rothschild’s Piccadilly Mansion, 3o Oct 1857; receipts for parish rates, 1857 for the Piccadilly mansions of Mayer and Lionel de Rothschild. 

Estates: 148, Piccadilly, press cuttings, 1862

000/1297 and 000/2674/3, 2 items

Extract from The Illustrated London News, 1862: 'Baron Rothschild's new mansion, Piccadilly'. View of the mansion and brief description of Baron Lionel Nathan de Rothschild's new London house, 148 Piccadilly; framed hand tinted original of the same view.

Estates: 148, Piccadilly, photographs, 1937

000/453, 2 items

Prints of photographs of the interior of 148 Piccadilly taken from the Sotheby's sale catalogue, 19 April 1937, The magnificent contents of 148, Picadilly: Old master paintings, furniture, textiles, and works of art: the ballroom, the grand straircase from the first floor. A copy of this catalogue (inlcuding these and other images of the interior of 148 Piccadilly) will be found in the Reading Room.

Estates: 148, Piccadilly, photographs, 1937

000/546, 1 item

Photographic black and white print of a press photograph (publication unknown) of the auction of the contents of 148 Piccadilly, 1937. The auction was held at 148 Piccadilly.