42, Hill Street, London
42, Hill Street, in Mayfair, London (just off Berkeley Square) was purchased by Anthony de Rothschild (1887-1961) in September 1926 from Lord Furness. Anthony and his wife, Yvonne (the couple married in 1926), lived in the property until the end of 1939. During the Second World War, Anthony offered the property for use by the War Department and there were plans for it to be used as an Officer’s Club. These plans were not advanced however, as the property was badly damaged by bombing and was deemed unfit for habitation. In the mid-1950s the ruined building was demolished and a block of flats was built on the site.
Estates: 42, Hill Street, architectural plans and drawings, c.1926
000/2252, 4 items
Plans of 42, Hill Street, home of Anthony de Rothschild: four colour floor plans by H S Goodhart Rendell, architect of proposed alterations, with all rooms named. NMR ref 20/1.
Estates: 42, Hill Street, lease and other sundry papers, 1942
000/282, 1 file
Two copies of lease agreement for 42 Hill Street, Mayfair, February 1942 between Anthony Gustav de Rothschild and Westminster City Council; letter from Westminster City Council re. Council use of cellar for coal store, October 1942.