Ashton Wold (Oundle) estate, Northamptonshire
According to family tradition, (Nathaniel) Charles Rothschild (1877-1923) fell in love with the Northamptonshire countryside where he was searching for butterflies. He was particularly struck by an empty Elizabethan house, which by good forturne turned out to belong to his father, Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915). Charles persuaded his father to make it over to him. However the house was in a hollow and so deemed bad for the health. Charles accordingly commissioned the architect William Huckvale, who had worked on Rothschild properties at Tring, to build him a new house and at the same time rebuild the village nearby.
For further papers, including documents, photographs and family papers from the estate at Ashton Wold, see Named Collections: The Ashton Wold Collection »
N M Rothschild & Sons: Estates Department, Ashton Wold (Oundle) estate, accounts and correspondence, 1870-1898
Some accounts and estate correspondence relating to the Oundle estate were retained in papers of the Estates Department of the London bank. Go to N M Rothschild & Sons: Estates Department »
Estates: Ashton Wold (Oundle) estate, deeds and estate papers, c.1800-1900
000/1881, 13 tin trunks, 1 cylindrical map tin, 7 boxes
Tin trunks of the ‘Hon. N. Charles Rothschild, Bucks Estate’ and ‘Miss Miriam Louise Rothschild, Ashton Wold, Bucks'. Formerly kept in the vaults at New Court. The trunks contain deeds and other papers relating to the Ashton Wold and Bucks estates. One trunk, ‘No. 520’ has been re-boxed into seven archive boxes and the original trunk is now on display in the Reading Room, New Court; all other documents remain in their original tin trunks. The front page of The Sun newspaper, 10 February 1840, from the day of the marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, was used as wrapping for some of the title deeds in this collection. This has been accessioned separately as 000/1883. The accession includes one very large estate map, in a black cylindrical map tin 11 feet 3 inches long, labelled 'Tring Park Estate (Herts) Deed Map'.
Estates: Ashton Wold, sundry legal papers, 1905-1931
000/1162/2, 1 folder
Sundry legal papers concerning the Ashton Wold estate. The papers formerly comprised the contents of a tin trunk, ‘Hon L.W. Rothschild’ from Halton House. Much of the correspondence contained in this collection has been addressed to or handled by A.W. Vaisey, solicitor, of Aylesbury. It is likely that the firm of Wilkins took over or inherited the business conducted by Vaisey. Wilkins deposited the tin trunk with Halton at a date unknown.
Estates: Ashton Wold (Oundle) estate, Ashton Mill, National Dragonfly Museum, 1996
000/505, 1 item
Guide to The National Dragonfly Museum. In 1981, the old water mill on the Ashton estate was converted into a small museum by Miriam Rothschild. Initially a fish museum, opened in response to chemical contamination of the river Nene, the museum is now The National Dragonfly Museum.