Chalet des Oyats, Berck-sur-mer, France
In 1878, James Edouard de Rothschild (1844-1881) bought two hectares of land at Berck-sur-Mer within a couple of hundred yards of the tubercular hospital he had built in 1871. Here he built a Swiss style chalet among the dunes facing the sea with the intention of spending the summer months there. James called it the ‘Chalet des Oyats’, oyats being a sort of gorse that grows in sand dunes.
Compared with many seaside villas, the Chalet des Oyats was relatively simple, although like others it was polychrome, and shared with them a steep-pitched roof, gables and polychrome. It was raised above ground level on wooden legs and was surrounded by a verandah.
After James’ death, his widow Laura Thérèse (1847-1931) used it as her seaside villa. Here she started a clinic for consumptive children. The chalet was destroyed during the Second World War.
Estates: Chalet des Oyats, Berck-sur-mer, postcards, c.1912
000/2549, 1 item
Postcard, 'Berck-Plage Chalet de Madame la Baronne de Rothschild' [Chalet des Oyats, Berck-sur-mer], c.1912.