Palace House, Newmarket, Suffolk
The oldest racing establishment in the world, The Palace House Stable in the heart of Newmarket played a crucial part in Newmarket's history as an equestrian centre in the 1850s and continues to maintain a great sporting tradition today.
The original Palace of Newmarket and Stables date from the time of King Charles II, who founded the Newmarket race meetings. King George II's son, William Duke of Cumberland, made use of the Palace during race meetings for many years prior to his death in 1765. In 1857, the Palace was sold by auction on the instructions of Queen Victoria, and part of the Palace of Newmarket was demolished.
Palace House was sold by the Crown to Mayer de Rothschild (1818-1874), the fourth son of Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836). Mayer was a keen hunter and sportsman, and for the next fifty years Palace House was the racing headquarters of the English branch of the Rothschild family. In 1867, Mayer commissioned the architect George Devey - a Rothschild favourite - to design alterations to Palace House, including the addition of a dining room and a second floor.
When Mayer died in 1874, the Palace House estate was inherited by his nephew, Leopold de Rothschild (1845-1917). Leopold made his Newmarket home in Palace House, and between 1896 and 1903, The Rothschild Yard and Stables were constructed. Leopold died in 1917, and the Palace House estate passed into the hands of his son, Anthony de Rothschild (1887-1961). The Rothschilds sold the property in the 1980s, and today, Palace House and the Stables is home to three charities: The British Sporting Art Trust, The National Horseracing Museum and Retraining of Racehorses.
An inventory of Palace House, Newmarket, July 1917 will be found in 000/1373/4. Further papers relating to building works at Palace House will be found in Partners' Room papers of Anthony de Rothschild.
Estates: Palace House, Newmarket, architectural plans and drawings, c.1926
000/2252, 9 items
Plans of Palace House, home of Leopold de Rothschild (1845-1917) and later Anthony de Rothschild (1887-1961): three detailed colour floor plans showing proposed alterations by F W Hagell, architects, with principal rooms named; colour floor plan of drainage; five colour plans by Sulzer Heating of the heating system. NMR ref 20/2.
Estates: Palace House, Newmarket, photographs and sales particulars, c.1985
000/2075, 1 file
Black and white photograph of Palace House, the Trainer's house and the King's Yard stables. Date unknown, but probably c.1985, when the Palace House estate was put on the market by Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. The folder also includes a photocopy of the sale particulars for ‘Palace House Mansion and Palace House Training Establishment’ by Jackson-Stops and Staff, together with a copy of Historical notes on the history of The Palace House Stables, Newmarket, by Richard Onslow, taken from a file in the NMR 58 series (58/2261).
Estates: Palace House, Newmarket, postcards, c.1910
000/1382 and 000/1861, 2 items
Two colour postcards depicting Mr Leopold de Rothschild's Palace House, Newmarket.
Estates: Palace House, Newmarket, secondary sources, 1895
000/2350, 1 item
Extract from Racing Illustrated 13 August 1895 featuring The Stables, Palace House, with images of trainer Alfred Hayhoe, Palace House and horses, and a description of the stables and horses.