Palais Rothschild, Vienna
Palais Rothschild, 14-16, Theresianumgasse
The Palais Nathaniel Rothschild was a palatial house in Vienna, one of five Palais Rothschild in the city owned by members of the Rothschild banking family of Austria. It was commissioned by Nathaniel von Rothschild (1836–1905). French architect Jean Girette designed and built the French Neo-baroque style palace between 1871 and 1878, situated at Theresianumgasse 16-18, in the IV (Wieden) district of Vienna.
After the annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany in 1938, the family were forced to flee and the estates seized by the Nazis. The Gestapo moved into the Palais and used the building for their interrogations. The building itself was heavily damaged during Allied bombing raids in 1944. The ruins were demolished in 1952.
Palais Rothschild, 24-26, Heugasse
The Palais Albert Rothschild was located at Heugasse 26 (today Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 20-22), in the IVth (Wieden) district of Vienna. Commissioned by Albert von Rothschild (1844-1911), it was designed and built by the French architect Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur between 1876 and 1884.
The building was unusual for Vienna. Designed in the French Neo-Renaissance “hôtel particulier” style, the layout was U-shaped, three storeys high and set back from the street by a courtyard, with the estate fenced off by a high iron grill. Attached to the palace was a garden which bordered on Plösslgasse. In addition to being a private residence Albert used it to conduct his banking business. Albert’s son, Louis (1882-1955), inherited the house when Albert died in 1911.
The Palais Albert Rothschild was slightly damaged during the war. Returning to Vienna in 1947, Louis found the building still standing and functional, but in a state of total neglect, its interior largely plundered. In following years Louis, in face of stiff government opposition tried to obtain compensation for his family's losses from the Austrian government, eventually only receiving a small amount of compensation. He gave the palace, the gardens and the estate to the Austrian Government, on condition that a pension fund for former Rothschild employees be created with the proceeds. In 1954 the Palais was torn down.
Estates: Palais Rothschild, Theresianumgasse, inventories, 1906
000/793/1, 1 volume
An inventory of the collection of Baron Nathaniel (1836-1905), primarily relating to collections at the Rothschild property, Theresianumgasse, Vienna: Inventar uber die in den Nathaniel Freiherr von Rothschild‘schen Nachlass gehorigen, in dem Palais in Wien, IV. Bezirk, Theresianumgasse Nr. 14 befindlichen, Kunstgegenstande und Einrichtungsstucke. The typed inventory, bound in a green cover is divided into categories: oils, books, musical instruments, etc.
Estates: Palais Rothschild, Heugasse, inventories, c.1906 
000/793/2, 1 volume
An inventory of a collection identified as Palais Inventar, probably that of Salomon Albert (Salbert) von Rothschild (1844-1911), at the Heugasse, n.d., but MSS additions from 1934 on final page, pencil markings in margins - 'Bankhaus Museum', 'wurden von S. S. genommen', etc. The typed inventory is bound in a blue cover. The second element of each inventory number appears to be the inventory number assigned in the inventory in 000/793/1.
Estates: Palais Rothschild, Vienna, inventories, undated [c.1940]
000/793/3, 1 volume
Printed catalogue of several collections, beginning with various members of the Rothschild family, marked up in an unknown hand(s) during the Second World War to indicate the intended destination of looted pieces - ‘Kunstmuseum, Linz’, ‘Landes Museum’, etc. The Inventory numbers following each description appear to be the inventory numbers assigned in the inventory in 000/793/1.