Rothschild Villa, Hemsbach
Hemsbach is historically in the German territory of Baden. In 1762, Franz Blesen bought up the old Hemsbacher castle estate and in 1764 built a large house in the style of an Italian villa. After several changes of ownership, the Carl Mayer von Rothschild (1788-1855) acquired the estate in 1839, and was appointed the first honorary citizen of Hemsbach in the same year. Carl extended the original house, adding two large wings c.1850, and laid out a grand park. After Carl's death in 1855, the estate had a variety of owners, but gradually fell into disrepair. In 1925, the local municipality acquired the property, and in 1928, after refurbishment, the administration occupied the villa as its Town Hall.
Rothschild Villa, Hemsbach, refurbishment report, 1999
000/2567, 1 volume
Volume Bauforschung (Historical Building Research), The Rathaus (previously a Rothschild residence), Schlossgasse 41, 69502, Hemsbach. Prepared by Barbara Kollia-Crowell & Robert Crowell, December 1999. The volume is a detailed architectural and structural report on the building, and includes a summary of its history, with plans and photographs.
In 1925, the local municipality acquired the property, and in 1928, after refurbishment, the administration occupied the villa as its Town Hall. By the late 1980s, the property was again in need of renovation, but it was not until 2006 that major renovations were begun, and in 2009 the magnificent new Town Hall was officially opened.