Rushbrooke estate, Suffolk
Rushbrooke Hall, Suffolk was purchased by Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990) in 1938.
The original manor house on the moated site to the south of the village of Rushbrooke is believed to have been constructed in the reign of King John, and named after the local landowning Rushbrooke family. Between 1230 and 1703 the manor and estate was held by the Jermyn family. The estate remained in the Jermyn family until the early 18th century, when it passed by marriage to Sir Robert Davers, 2nd Baronet. From the Davers family, it passed to Frederick Hervey, 1st Marquess of Bristol, who sold the house to Robert Rushbrooke. In 1938 ownership of the manor was taken over by Victor Rothschild. In 1961 it was decided to demolish and rebuild the house; during the demolition, a fire devastated the building. Several of the remaining decorative features were used in St Edmund's Church, Bury St Edmunds. The moated site and some of the formal gardens are all that remain of the house.
In 1990, the property passed to Victor's son, the late Amschel Rothschild (1955-1996). Amschel continued to develop the estate and farm, growing fruit trees. When Amschel died in 1996, the property remained with the family. It was sold in 2015.
See also Named Collections: The Rushbrooke Collection.
Estates: Rushbrooke estate, publications, 1999
000/784 and 000/2286, 2 volumes
Two copies of Rushbrooke 1938-1998, by W C Bellinger (privately printed, 1999).
Estates: Rushbrooke estate, sale particulars, 2015
000/2280, 1 item
Sales particulars for Rushbrooke estate, Suffolk. Marketed by Bidwells, May 2015, with a guide price of £24 million.