Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

The Horwood & James Collection

Messrs Horwood and James was a firm of family solicitors. They were founded in 1792, and were based in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Horwood and James were the family solicitors for Rothschilds living in the area. 

So successfully did a concentration of Rothschild family members settle in the Vale of Aylesbury that in the nineteenth century the area acquired the soubriquet ‘Rothschildshire’.  In addition to Aston Clinton, purchased by Anthony de Rothschild (1810-1876) in 1853, Rothschild houses in the Vale of Aylesbury included Ascott House, Wing, Bucks, purchased by Lionel de Rothschild (1808-79) for his son Leopold (1845-1917) in 1873; Champneys, Tring, Herts, purchased by Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915) as part of the Tring Park estate; Eythrope House, Waddesdon, Bucks, purchased in 1875 by Alice de Rothschild (1847-1922); Halton House, Halton, Bucks, built by Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918); Mentmore Towers, Mentmore, Bucks built by Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1818-1874); Tring Park, Tring, Herts, the country seat of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915); and Waddesdon Manor, Waddesdon, Bucks, built by Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839-1898).

Most of the papers described here relate to property either purchased or sold by the Rothschilds, or leased to and from third parties. Properties are largely to be found in the vale of Aylesbury area, although items relating to properties in other areas may be found in this collection. The collection includes a wide variety of legal documents, and some plans and sketches. The date range of items in this collection is c.1610-c.1970.

The Horwood & James Collection: papers concerning Rothschild estates in Vale of Aylesbury, 1611-1962

000/2342, 170 boxes

Papers deposited with Messrs Horwood & James (Rothschild solicitors in Aylesbury). This large collection contains legal papers (with some financial papers). Most of the items in this collection relate to property either purchased or sold by the Rothschilds, or leased to and from third parties. Some papers relate to chraitable institutions established by the Rothschilds. Properties are largely to be found in the Vale of Aylesbury area, although items relating to properties in other areas may be found in this collection. This collection includes a wide variety of legal documents, and some plans and sketches. The collection conatins many hundreds of individual items; please contact The Archive for further information.

The Horwood & James Collection: papers concerning Rothschild estates in the Vales of Aylesbury, 1879; 1910; 1918-1927

000/765, 1 box

Papers deposited with Messrs Horwood & James (Rothschild solicitors in Aylesbury) primarily relating to Halton estate of Alfred de Rothschild. Includes papers relating to dealings with the War Department; Auction Sales Particulars, 1919, requisitions on title; correspondence relating to North Camp Site Aston Clinton Estate, 1920-1923, particulars of farms and plans.

The Horwood & James Collection: papers concerning Rothschild estates in Vale of Aylesbury, c.1881-1956

000/891, 1 box

Papers deposited with Messrs Horwood & James (Rothschild solicitors in Aylesbury) relating to deeds, maps and sale particulars of land in Buckinghamshire, chiefly in Aylesbury and Wingrave, 1881-1956.

The Horwood & James Collection: papers concerning Rothschild estates in Vale of Aylesbury, c.1879

000/816, 1 volume

Papers deposited with Messrs Horwood & James (Rothschild solicitors in Aylesbury) relating to plans of Rothschild estates and land in Vale of Aylesbury c.1879.  Plans and an indenture and schedules, bound into a single document.

The Horwood & James Collection: Ordance Survey maps, c.1870-1880

000/2339, 12 items

Boxed series of loose Ordnance Survey maps of Buckinghamshire c.1870-c.1880: Parish of Ellesborough, Bucks, 1; Parish of Ellesborough, Bucks, 2; Parish of Halton, Bucks, 1; Parish of Halton, Bucks, 2; Parish of Princes Risborough, Bucks, 1; Parish of Princes Risborough, Bucks, 2; Parish of Princes Risborough, Bucks, 3; Parish of Monks Risborough, Bucks,  1; Parish of Monks Risborough, Bucks, 2; Parish of Wendover, Bucks, 1; Parish of Wendover, Bucks, 2; Parish of Wendover, Bucks, 3.