The Pleasaunce, Overstrand, Norfolk
In 1886 Cyril Flower (1843-1907), an heir to the Flower’s Brewery fortune and his wife, Constance (Connie) de Rothschild (1843-1931), daughter of Sir Anthony Nathan (1810-1876) and Louise de Rothschild (1821-1910) were looking for a home in Norfolk.
On the recommendation of their friend, Lord Suffield, an estate with two small villas was purchased by them and a young up and coming architect, Edwin (later Sir Edwin) Lutyens was engaged to design a mansion. In 1888, The Pleasaunce was built with gardens designed by the famous garden designer Gertrude Jeckyll. The Pleasaunce cost £70,000 to build. The name ‘Pleasaunce’ was suggested by Lord Morley to Lord and Lady Battersea: “A Pleasaunce is a medieval word meaning a garden with open walkways where ladies and gentlemen may take the airs.”
Sadly Cyril and Connie were childless, and in 1936 the property was sold and was purchased for a fraction of the original cost (owing to the perceived risk of coastal erosion) by Lancs and Cheshire Federation Christian Endeavour Holiday Homes. From 1937, the property was continually in use by CE Holiday Centres Ltd, except when requisitioned by the military for use during the Second World War. The property is grade II* listed. In Summer 2015, CE holiday Centres Ltd reluctantly announced that it was to put The Pleasaunce on the market.
Estates: The Pleasaunce, Overstrand, postcards, n.d.
000/2021, 2 items
Postcards of The Pleasaunce: ‘The Pleasunce, Overstrand’, undated; ‘The Pleasunce, Overstrand, Fruit Pergola’, undated.
Estates: The Pleasaunce, Overstrand, secondary sources, c.1975
000/1529, 1 item
Pamphlet: The Pleasaunce - CE Holiday Home Ltd by Monica E. Sykes.