Villa Grüneburg, Frankfurt
The Villa Grüneburg was built on four acres of land on the estate of Amschel von Rothschild (1773-1855) which he had given to his niece and nephew, Charlotte (1807-1859) and Anselm (1803-1874). The architects Bellanger and Jacob von Essen were commissioned to draw up plans and work started in 1850. With its rich decorative features, the villa showed allusions to both the Baroque architecture of Southern Italy and to the French chateaux of the Loire. When Anselm, died the house passed to his daughter Hannah Mathilde and her husband Willy Carl, who used it as their summer residence. In 1944 the property was destroyed by Allied bombing. The land is now a public park.
Estates: Villa Grüneburg, Frankfurt, sundry papers , 1906
000/927, 1 item
Letter concerning the building of the Villa Grüneburg, Frankfurt, 5 February 1906; from a box of esate papers of Emma, Lady Rothschild (1844-1935).
Estates: Villa Grüneburg, Frankfurt, secondary sources, 2007
000/1848, 1 file and 1 DVD
Copy of a speech given by Nadine von Mauthner (née Goldschmidt-Rothschild) and copy of plaque from the unveiling of the plaque on 14th June 2007 in Grüneburg Park, Frankfurt to explain the Rothschild connection with the park. Also articles and DVD about the Villa Grüneburg, Nadine von Mauthner and the Rothschild houses in Germany.
Estates: Villa Grüneburg, Frankfurt, secondary sources, 2011
000/2115, 1 item
German magazine containing an article about the Rothschild Gardens and Park, Frankfurt.