Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

Louise, Baroness Mayer Carl von Rothschild (née de Rothschild) (1820-1894)

Louise de Rothschild was the only one of Nathan and Hannah Rothschild's children to be born at Stamford Hill. She married her cousin Mayer Carl, of the Frankfurt house, at Gunnersbury in 1842. Although the rest of her adult life was spent in Frankfurt, where she established and endowed many charitable foundations, she preserved a sense of Englishness in her home on the Bockenheimer Landstrasse.

Louise, like her sisters, received a good education, excelling in the arts and music. She was also a pious woman, who imbued the same qualities in her daughters, and Frankfurt became witness to their generous philanthropy. In 1876, the German Emperor conferred upon her the Louisa Medal in honour of her munificence. She built the Clementine Hospital for girls in memory of her daughter and she endowed the Carl von Rothschild Free Library and Carolinum Institute which had been founded by another daughter. Louise also wrote considerably on religious themes. 

Louise von Rothschild, correspondence, c.1836-1869; 1874

000/41, 000/303, 124 items

Louise's letters are addressed to her sister-in-law, Charlotte, Baroness Lionel de Rothschild and are an excellent source of information on family affair and gossip, written by a less than enthusiastic resident of Frankfurt. 000/303 is a letter (in German) from Louise, Baroness Mayer Carl, 1874.

Transcripts available in the Reading Room

Louise von Rothschild, estate papers, 1915

000/636, 1 file

Papers concerning the estate of Louise, Baroness Mayer Carl von Rothschild. 

Louise von Rothschild, publications, 1858

000/370, 1 volume

Memoir of Her Grace the Late Duchess of Bedford, Rev. Henry Tate, 1858.  Bound in red tooled leather and bearing the inscription. ‘Baroness Mayer de Rothschild’, with a letter enclosed from the Duke of Bedford.

Louise von Rothschild, publications, 1879

000/425; 000/904, 2 volumes

Two copies of  Stunden der Andacht, (Fanny Neuda: Prague), 1879.  Dedicated to Louise von Rothschild.