Institut de Biologie Physico-chimique, Paris
Better known for his work to support Jewish settlers in Palestine, Edmond de Rothschild (1834-1945) made an important contribution to molecular biology by establishing a biological foundation in his name. The original idea dated back to 1921, and the Institute was founded through a donation by Edmond de Rothschild in 1927 at request of the physicist and Nobel Prize winner Jean Perrin who wished to develop a new approach to research. The Institute opened at 13, rue Pierre-et-Marie-Curie, Paris, in 1931. Baron Edmond's grandson, also called Edmond (1926-1997) continued to provide support for research at the lnstitute.
Institut de Biologie Physico-chimique, Paris, secondary sources, 'L'Architecture', 1930
000/2124, 1 item
L'Architecture magazine, 1930 containing an article by M.G. Debre, architect, about the Institut de biologie physico-chimique. The article reproduces floor plans and photographs of the interior and exterior of the Institut.
Institut de Biologie Physico-chimique, Paris, secondary sources, 'Le Miroir du Monde', 1931
000/1947/1, 1 item
Le Miroir du Monde (Numero 51, 21 Fev 1931, article 'L' Institut de Biologie Physico-chimique fonde par Edmond de Rothschild a Paris', concerning the Institut and its work.
Institut de Biologie Physico-chimique, Paris, secondary sources, 'The Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique by those who built it', 2010
000/2562, 2 volumes
Two volumes about the history of the Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique:
- The Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique by those who built it (Ababole, 2010). Version in English;
- L'Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique par ceux qui l'ont construit (Ababole, 2010). Version in French.