RAF Halton, Buckinghamshire
The existing house at Halton was built after Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918) inherited the estate in 1879. In 1914 Halton was taken over for use as an army base, and later in the war was used by the newly formed Royal Flying Corps. It was subsequently sold to the War office by Alfred’s nephew, Lionel, and was later occupied by the Royal Air Force; it remains in their possession today as RAF Halton.
RAF Halton: prints 'Halton House - Four Seasons' (after original artworks by Daniel Brunwin), 2004
000/1433 and 00/2193, 1 folder
Prints produced by RAF Halton: two identical sets of four modern prints Halton House - Four Seasons, together with postcards of the same. From original paintings by David Brunwin; the original paintings were commissioned by the officers' of Royal Air Force Halton.
- Winter Morning;
- Spring through the Gold Room;
- Summer on the terrace;
- Autumn leaves.
RAF Halton: print, 'Royal visit to Halton' (after an original artwork by Graham Turner), 2004
000/1503, 2 items
Print produced by RAF Halton: Royal visit to Halton - Alfred de Rothschild welcomes the Prince of Wales to the first social gathering at Halton Mansion on 15th January 1884. After an original painting by Graham Turner, commissioned by RAF Halton. Together with typed extract from the Bucks Herald, 19 January 1884 concerning the Royal visit of 1884.
Halton House was built after Alfred de Rothschild (1842-1918) inherited the estate in 1879. On 15 January 1884 the house, designed by William Cubitt & Co. (based loosely on a French Renaissance château), was opened in the presence of the Prince of Wales. With its ornate skyline consisting of steep French pavilion roofs, pinnacles, chimney stacks, and domed Winter Garden, it was not to everyone’s taste at the time. Judged by Lady Frances Balfour as "terribly vulgar", to Constance, Lady Battersea (nee de Rothschild) (1843-1931) it was nevetheless Alfred’s "beauteous home on earth", while for Country Life it combined "classical grace and modern elegance."
RAF Halton: press cuttings, 2006
000/1690, 1 item
Newspaper cutting from Bucks Herald, 20 September 2006 regarding Halton House and Waddesdon used for film set for 'The Queen' and other films.
RAF Halton: films, 2005
000/1659, 1 DVD
DVD film made for the Halton House Open House day 2005.