RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution), Sandgate
In 1875, the RNLI decided to establish a station near Folkestone and Sandgate, to the west, was chosen as the best location. A site for a lifeboat house was found at Seabrook, near Sandgate, on land rented from the War Office. A lifeboat house, designed by the RNLI architect C. H. Cooke, was built by J. Bissenden at a cost of £541. The station was known as Hythe, Sandgate and Folkestone, and the formal inauguration took place on 20 April 1876. Mayer de Rothschild (1818-19874) was elected Liberal MP for Hythe in 1859. He died on 6 February 1874. In his memory, his daughter Hannah gave funds for a lifeboat at Hythe station. The station's first lifeboat, the 35ft self-righter Mayer de Rothschild, arrived in April 1876, together with her launching carriage.
Hythe, Sandgate and Folkestone Lifeboat station: photographs, c.1876
000/861, 1 item
Black and white photograph of lifeboat named the Mayer de Rothschild and crew, c.1876. Provenance unknown.