The Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt
A foundation to establish a free public library in Frankfurt was established by Hannah Louisa von Rothschild (1850-1892) in 1887. Named in memory of her father, Mayer Carl von Rothschild, the library was modelled on the free public library system in England. The librarian was Dr. Carl Berghoeffer, a future biographer of Mayer Amschel Rothschild. The library's first home was on Bethmannstrasse, but in 1907 the library took over 15 Untermainkai, the former Rothschild residence in which the Frankfurt Jewish Museum was established in 1988. The library specialised in archaeology, art history, German, French and English philology, Jewish theology, trade and music, subjects with which the Rothschilds themselves were not unfamiliar. In the 1930s, the entire stock of the library - over 93,000 volumes - was absorbed by the Frankfurt City and University Library.
The Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt, Catalogue, c.1900
000/800, 1 volume
Catalogue of the Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt, Volume 1.
The Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt, postcard , c.1900
000/2311, 1 item
Postcard of the Reading Room of The Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt, c.1900.
The Carl von Rothschild Library, Frankfurt, Annual Report, 1922
000/2444, 1 volume
Printed report, in German, of The Board of Carl Rothschild Public Library, Frankfurt, 1922. Dreissigster Jahresbericht (1922) des vorstandes der Freiherrlich Carl von Rothschildschen offentlichen Bibliothek zu Frankfurt a.M (Thirtieth annual report (1922) of the Board of the Baron Carl von Rothschild Public Library, Frankfurt a.M).