The Jewish Memorial Council
The Jewish Memorial Council was founded in 1919 on the initiative of Sir Robert Waley Cohen, F.C. Stern, Lord Swaythling, and Major Lionel de Rothschild. A public meeting was held in Central Hall, Westminster on 11 June 1919 to approve and undertake a scheme to raise a fund to establish a permanent war memorial to the Jews of the British Empire who had served in the 1914-1918 war. This was applied to the following objectives: The endowment of Jewish religious education; the building and endowment of a Jewish Theological College at Oxford or Cambridge to which, in accordance with the resolution of its Council, the present Jews College (later London School of Jewish Studies) would be transferred; the making of further provision for the Jewish ministry. The first Council meeting was held in November 1919. Papers of the Jewish Memorial Council are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
Further papers concerning The Jewish Memorial Council will be found in the Secretariat Department, Correspondence files, 1 series. See also The Jewish Memorial Council: A History 1919-1999, A. Rosenzweig, (Redwood Books, 1998), a copy of which can be found in the Reading Room.
The Jewish Memorial Council, correspondence, 1919
000/1994, 1 item
Copy letter from Robert Waley Cohen to Lionel de Rothschild, 6th May 1919 concerning the discussion of tentative proposals to erect a war memorial and create a war memorial fund to support the traditions of Judaism and British citizenship.
The Jewish Memorial Council, accounts, 1919-1939
000/2318, 1 volume
A single volume (NMR ref 221/T.2) concerning accounts of the Jewish Memorial Fund, maintained by NMR: Jewish War Memorial Fund Ledger, 1919-1939.