Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

The Rothschild Hospital, Vienna

The Rothschild Hospital, Vienna, was the hospital of the Israelite religious community in Vienna. It was named after its founder Baron Anselm Salomon von Rothschild, and, was in his day, one of the most modern hospitals in the city. It served the Jewish community in Vienna from 1873 to 1938. During the period of National Socialism it remained open from 1938 to 1943 and was the only hospital in Vienna where Jewish doctors could work and where Jewish patients could be treated. After the end of the Second World War, it was used as a warehouse for Jewish displaced persons, and later as a reception centre for Jewish refugees from Eastern Europe. The building, built according to the plans of the Viennese architect Wilhelm Stiassny, was demolished in 1960.

The Rothschild Hospital, Vienna: annual reports and other reports, 1853; 1858-1860; 1864; 1869; 1873

000/2464, 1 file

Photocopies of annual reports relating to the Rothschild Hospital, Vienna: Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1852, 1853 (report of the hospital for 1852); Jahresbericht des ersten allgemeinen St Annen-kinderspitales, 1852, 1853 (Annual report of the first general St Annen-Children's Hospital, for 1852); Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1858, 1859 (report of the hospital for 1858); Jahresbericht des ersten allgemeinen St Annen-kinderspitales, 1859, 1860 (Annual report of the first general St Annen-Children's Hospital, for 1859); Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1859, 1860 (report of the hospital for 1859); Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1860, 1861 (report of the hospital for 1860); Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1863, 1864 (report of the hospital for 1863); Bericht uber das Wiener Israeliten-Spital vom 1868, 1869 (report of the hospital for 1868); Organisations-Statut fur das Spital der israelitischen Cultusgemeinde in Wien, 1873 (Organisational statutes for the hospital).