Tring Nursing Home, Tring
Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild was given the estate at Tring Park by his father Lionel (1808-1879) as a wedding gift in 1867. Tring became his country residence. In 1872, Natty and his wife Emma Louisa (née von Rothschild) (1844-1935), and their young son (Lionel) Walter Rothschild (1868-1937), took up residence; their daughter (Charlotte) Evelina (1873-1947) and second son Charles (1877-1923) were both born at Tring. The family divided their time between their London home at 148 Piccadilly and Tring Park. Lady Rothschild preferred to remain at Tring with her children throughout much of the year. At Tring Lord and Lady Rothschild were generous landlords, building over 400 modern cottages in and around Tring, complete with sewage arrangements and water supply. Employees at Tring Park received free nursing and medicine, and access to a nursing home, instigated and equipped by Emma, Lady Rothschild.
Sundry legal papers relating to the establishment and endowment of some charitable institutions in the Tring locality the may be found in the Horwood and James Collection »
Tring Nursing Home, deed of gift, 1892
000/927, 2 items
Tring Nursing Home, deed of gift and sundry correspondence, from a box of papers from the estate of Emma, Lady Rothschild (1844-1935).