Tring Park School for Performing Arts, Tring
Tring Park in Hertfordshire was built by Christopher Wren in 1670. The Rothschilds’ earliest association with the house dates back to the 1830s when they rented it for the summer. Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) finally purchased it in 1872, making considerable alterations according to designs by George Devey. Nathaniel, ('Natty'), 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915), inherited the property in 1879, and it became his country residence.
During the Second World War the house was used by N M Rothschild & Sons as a repository for the safe-keeping of documents and valuables outside London. The Tring Home Guard also used the park grounds for exercises and training. After the war, the bank had no further use for the house and Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild had no desire to reinstate and house. The mansion was leased by the Prudential Assurance Company and in 1945 was leased and subsequently purchased by the Cone-Ripman School which, in turn, became the Arts Educational School, Tring Park.
Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, prospectus, 1994
000/379, 1 item
School prospectus, 1994 and book about the school, c,1994.
Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, photographs, c.1994
000/820, 22 items
A small collection of 22 contemporary photographs (and negatives of same) of Tring Park, taken by staff of the Archive in 1994 on a visit. Images include sundry interiors of ground floor rooms and the exterior of the mansion.
Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, marketing materials, 2014
000/2192, 1 file
Information pack created by the Tring Park School for the Performing Arts about the history of the property. Also included inthis accession is an Information pack 'Tring Park' produced by the Friends of Tring Park containing information sheets 1-14 about the history of the park.