Ashton Wold (Oundle) [Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915)]
According to family tradition, (Nathaniel) Charles Rothschild (1877-1923) fell in love with the Northamptonshire countryside where he was searching for butterflies. He was particularly struck by an empty Elizabethan house, which by good forturne turned out to belong to his father, Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915). Charles persuaded his father to make it over to him. However the house was in a hollow and so deemed bad for the health. Charles accordingly commissioned the architect William Huckvale, who had worked on Rothschild properties at Tring, to build him a new house and at the same time rebuild the village nearby. Miriam Rothschild (1908-2005) inherited the house after her parents’ deaths.
Oundle Estate Cash Book, 1870-1876
XII/16/0, 1 volume
This volume, with an index of tenants, is a record of the rents for the estate. A loose sheet within it lists the holdings of the Oundle, or Ashton, Estate in 1867 after the Enclosure of Lutton Common.
"Farmers' Complete Account", 1882-1883
XII/7/0, 1 volume
This is a record of payments to staff on the estate in a pre-printed book. One payment of 14s.10d. is to the housekeeper, Jackson, for going to Peterborough Market with fat pigs.
Oundle Estate Correspondence, 1890-1898
XII/14/0, 1 box
The letters in this series are parcelled into two bundles. The first, 1890-1895, contains letters to Mr Allard Jones of New Court from Mr Richardson, a solicitor of New Street, Oundle, acting as agent, enclosing accounts and reports, and also letters from tenants. The second bundle, 1892-1898, consists of notes about alterations and repairs to property.