Tring Park [Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915)]
Tring Park in Hertfordshire was built by Christopher Wren in 1670. The Rothschilds’ earliest association with the house dates back to the 1830s when they rented it for the summer. Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) finally purchased it in 1872, making considerable alterations according to designs by George Devey. Nathaniel, ('Natty'), 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915), inherited the property in 1879, and it became his country residence.
After the death of Lord Rothschild in 1915, his Walter succeeded to the title, becoming Lionel Walter 2nd Lord Rothschild, and he lived alone with his mother, Emma, Lady Rothschild (1844-1935) at Tring. When Lady Rothschild died in 1935 aged 91, under the terms of his father’s will, Walter was obliged to move out of Tring Park and the house and estate now passed to his brother Charles’s branch of the family. Charles Rothschild (1877-1923) had died in 1923, which meant that the title, along with his interest in the Tring Park estate was inherited by his son Victor (1910-1990).
Account Books, Tring Park Estate, 1879-1915
XII/4/0-2, 3 volumes
A record of income from tenants and of expenditure on the estate, begun in the year the estate of Lionel de Rothschild was divided between his three sons.
Rental Books, Lord Rothschild, 1880-1913
XII/19/0-5, 6 volumes
The names of the tenants are listed alphabetically in the volumes, which record the quarterly rents of each.
Account Book, Tring Park Estate Rent, 1883-1889
XII/5/0, 1 volume
An indexed record of tenants' payments.
Receipted Accounts, Tring Park Estate, 1912-1914
XII/36/1, 1 bundle
The accounts in this series are from Horwood & James, solicitors, and the Chiltern Hills Spring Water Company.