Artefacts: silver collection
The items listed here do not represent an attempt the acquire a 'silver collection' per se.
Many of these items are Rothschild family pieces. The provenance of the pieces is varied; some of the pieces have been gifted to, or purchased by, the Archive; others have been at New Court for many years, where they have been gifted or purchased for display or use in dining rooms.
Many pieces are still displayed or used at New Court. Most items are not owned by the Archive, but are curated by the Archive on behalf of the business. The most important pieces, and those with a distinct Rothschild connection are described below.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver 'Cockerel' drinking vessels, c.1790-1810
000/1911/1 and 000/1911/2, 2 items
A Dutch silver model of a crowing Cockerel, possibly late 18th/early 19th century, engraved with simulated feathers, detachable head, on an ebonised base, overall height 23 cm, maker's mark only AB, also struck with 19th century Dutch control marks, one feather replaced, dents and minor splits; a German or Dutch 19th century silver Cockerel, realistically modelled and standing on a silver base with chased foliage, later painted in naturalistic colours, marks to base indecipherable, 28 cm high. These pieces were for many years in the Partners' Room in the second New Court.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver menorah, c.1791-1806
000/1911/23, 1 item
Hanukkah lamp (Menorah). Silver menorah believed to have belonged to Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836). Mark is that of Erhard(t) Christian Specht. It is absolutely typical of German neo-classicism of the period and has been dated to between 1791 and 1806. The 'servant light' is possibly not contemporary with the piece. The menorah was found in a tin trunk in the vaults at New Court.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver armorini, c.1800
A pair of low-grade silver figures of loosely draped Amorini, probably Belgian or French, 18th or 19th century, one holding a basket of flowers, the other holding a partially enamelled mirror bearing date 1553, on yellow marble square bases, 38 cm and 33.5 cm high. These pieces were for many years displayed in the second New Court.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver tray, with arms of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild, 1809
000/1121, 1 item
A George III silver-gilt oval tea tray, bearing the mark of Benjamin and James Smith, London, 1809, marked on the reverse and border and also stamped ‘Rundell Bridge et Rundell Aurifices Regis et Principis Walliae London’. Pierced grapevine border, the field engraved with a border of scrolling foliage and fruit baskets and centering later engraved arms and supporters of Rothschild; on four mask and crouching hoof supports, the handles with leaf-clad leopard masks and ram's-head joins. The arms are believed to be those of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild and added c.1885. Purchased 2002.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver salver with Rothschild crest, 1824
000/2450, 1 item
Round silver salver, 40 cm in diameter on four silver ball and claw feet, with scalloped edges. Decorated with circular garland motif of fruit and flowers, with Rothschild family crest in centre. Made by Edward Farrell, London, 1824. Presumably a Rothschild family piece, the provenance after 1824 is unknown. Purchased 2018.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver teapot, 1825-1826
000/1911/40, 1 item
Silver tea pot with ivory handle, monogram ‘NMR’, possibly for Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836), but more likely for Nathaniel Mayer Rothschild (1840-1915). Hallmark identifies it as made in London, 1825-1826. The tea pot may have been used in the Partners’ Room or the dining rooms at New Court.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver supper service [marriage of Nathan Mayer Rothschild and Hannah Cohen], 1829
000/1605, 1 item
A George IV silver supper or breakfast service, made by Benjamin Smith in London, 1829. The piece consists of an oval hot water compartment base on four silver and wood bun supports, with applied reeded swing handles with turned wood grips, and engraved with the Rothschild and Cohen coat of arms on either side, which would indicate that the piece was created for Nathan Mayer Rothschild who had married Hannah Barent Cohen in 1806. It is fitted with two large and two small detachable oval dishes with detachable domed covers centring a similar smaller detachable sauce tureen with detachable gilt-lined two-division liner complete with detachable domed cover. Purchased 2005.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver-gilt ewer [arms of Lionel de Rothschild], 1831
000/2667, 1 item
Commemorative silver-gilt piece: a silver-gilt Ewer of ribbed ovoid shape with a high-mounted S-scroll cast handle, the edge of the neck cast and applied with an acanthus leaves and egg-and-dart border, the front centre cast and applied with a Romanesque bearded maskhead, engraved beneath the maskhead with the full Rothschild Coat of Arms with supporters, Coronet and crest, on a spreading circular foot, London 1831, workshop mark of Robert Garrard, 35.5 cm high, 1616g (52 oz). The arms presumed those of Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879). Purchased 1999.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver tray [arms of Rothschild and Cohen], 1835
000/2670, 1 item
A large two-handled silver tray, shaped oblong, each corner with a detachable putto, the border cast with flowers interspersed with an escutcheon to each side with an R in reverse cipher beneath a Continental Coronet, centrally engraved with the full Rothschild impaling Cohen within a broad band of foliage and scrolling decoration of flowers and leaves interspersed with shells and a pair of monograms on raised panels, each corner mounted with a well modelled figure symbolical of the Seasons, on a matted ground, 81 x 58 cms, London 1835, workshop mark of Robert Garrard.
The arms are those of the Rothschild and Cohen families. Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) married Hannah Cohen (1783-1850) in 1806, suggesting that the piece may have been a wedding gift, the arms added to an existing piece for the occasion. The tray passed by descent to Lionel Walter, 2nd Lord Rothschild (1868-1947) and was sold after his death by his nephew Victor, 3rd Rothschild (1910-1990) in a sale of property removed from 148 Piccadilly W.1. in 1933. Purchased 1998.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver salvers, [monogram Alfred Charles de Rothschild], 1835
000/2515, 4 items
Set of four heavy silver salvers, described as 'second course dishes', by Robert Garrard, London 1835. Each with shell and gadroon border, workshop mark of Robert Garrard and retail stamp of Garrards, Panton Street, London – gross weight approximately 4800g (154 oz). The rims engraved with the Rothschild Coat of Arms with Coronet and supporters (lion and unicorn) opposite the cipher 'ACR', presumed to be for Alfred Charles Rothschild (1842-1918). The early date of the pieces would suggest that they were purchased plain or the original monogram was erased and replaced with that of Alfred de Rothschild. Purchased 1999.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver tray [marriage of Lionel de Rothschild and Charlotte von Rothschild], c.1836
000/1455, 1 item
Viennese Biedermeier tray from a 'Rothschild Wedding Service': a rectangular silver tray bearing the engraved arms of Rothschild and the device: Concordia, Integritas, Industria, with the initials CLR above. Insignia of the maker 'St Mayerhofer'. 1836. Believed to have been produced for the wedding of Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879) to his cousin Charlotte von Rothschild (1819-1884) in 1836. Purchased 1998.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver-gilt salver [marriage of Nathaniel de Rothschild and Charlotte de Rothschild], 1842
000/661, 1 item
A round silver-gilt salver, (diameter 46cm), by Mortimer and Hunt, part of a service produced as a gift for the marriage of Nathaniel de Rothschild (1812-1870), the son of Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) to his French cousin, Charlotte de Rothschild (1825-1899) daughter of James Mayer von Rothschild (1792-1868) in Frankfurt in 1842. At the centre are the family's Austrian arms surmounted by an entwined monogram. Purchased 1998.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: pair of silver wine coasters [arms of Lionel de Rothschild], c.1845
000/1456, 2 items
A pair of circular silver wine coasters by R & S Garrard, 1845, the centres chased in low relief with the arms of Rothschild entwined by leafage, borders of mermaids, dolphins and Neptune. The arms of those of Baron Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1808-1879). Purchased 1999.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver gilt ewer and salver [marriage of Mayer Amschel Rothschild and Juliana Cohen], c.1849
000/2666, 2 items
Commemorative silver-gilt pieces for the marriage of Baron Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1818-1874) to Juliana Cohen (1831-1877) in 1850:
- A silver-gilt Salver in Gothic taste, of shaped circular form, the cast and applied rim comprising strapwork interspersed with quatrefoils, centrally engraved with a Continental Coronet above the initials MJR in reverse cipher, for Mayer and Juliana Rothschild, within a ring of scrolling and foliate decorative engraving, engraved on the back Michael Emmanuel 5, Hanover Square, London, on four openwork cast feet in Mannerist style, 45.5 cm diameter, London 1849, workshop mark of D&C Houle – 2572g (83 oz). Purchased 1999.
- A silver-gilt Ewer, with a cast figural high-loop handle with satyr and naked classical figure, forming the mounts, the lidded spout cast and applied with cornucopiae to either side of a bearded maskhead, the handle cast and applied with trailing vines, branches and leaves, on an egg-shaped ribbed body centrally engraved with a continental five-ball Coronet above the letters MJR in reverse cipher for Mayer and Juliana Rothschild, the foot mount formed as vine leaves and vine stork, on a septafoil spreading circular foot, 33 cm high, London 1831, workshop mark of Charles Price – 1548g (50 oz). Purchased 1999.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver beakers [marriage of Mayer Carl von Rothschild and Louise de Rothschild], c.1842
000/2668, 12 items
A set of twelve German silver Beakers in mid-18th century style, of ribbed circular form with flat-chased scrolling foliage panels on matted grounds,to each corner, on conforming waisted spreading feet, 9.5 cm high, workshop mark of Johann Martin Schmidt and Karl Thomas, Frankfurt – approximately 2330g (75oz). It is believed that these were used at, or a gift for, the wedding of Mayer Carl von Rothschild (1820-1886) to Louise de Rothschild (1820-1894), daughter of Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836) in 1842; however further research has identified the makers' mark to 1850, which conflicts this supposition. Purchased 1992.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver coffee pot [monogram 'NMR'], 1892-1893
000/1911/37, 1 item
Silver coffee pot with ivory handle, monogram ‘NMR’, possibly for Nathaniel Mayer Rothschild (1840-1915). Hallmark identifies it as made in London, 1892-1893. The coffee pot may have been used in the Partners’ Room or the dining rooms in the second New Court.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver sugar casters [five arrows emblem], c.1900
000/613, 2 items
A pair of French, silver sugar casters , Risler & Carr, Paris, c.1900, vase shaped with domed pierced covers and pineapple finials, engraved with five arrows tied with ribbon above leaf arabesque girdles and spreading bases. The five arrows emblem would suggest that this piece was commissioned by, or used in the household of a member of the French Rothschild family. Purchased 1997.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver cigarette/cigar box, 1901
000/1911/47, 1 item
Large silver cigarette/cigar box, monogram ‘L N de R’ for Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1882-1942). Hallmarks on inside of lid suggest William Comyns & Sons Ltd, London, 1901. Presumed kept at New Court by Lionel. Transferred to the Archive from the New Court vaults.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver teapot, c.1910
000/1911/60, 1 item
Silver teapot inscribed 'The New Court Tea Room from L Davidson', presumably a gift from either a departing or retiring clerk to his fellows. Transferred from the New Court vaults.
New Court: artefacts, silver collection: silver ink-stand [marriage of Lionel de Rothschild to Marie-Louise Beer], 1912
000/2509, 1 item
Edward VII silver ink-stand by Thomas Bradbury given to Mr Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) as a gift from the New Court staff on the occasion of his wedding to Marie-Louise Beer in October 1912. It remained on his desk at New Court during his time at New Court, and his son, the late Mr Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009) also kept it on his desk in the New Court Partners’ Room, and later in his office in the third New Court.