Return to the Forum homepage


David Colville (1909-1986)

David Richard Colville came from a politically active and well-connected family. His father was the Hon. George Charles Colville, who was secretary of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and the younger son of Charles Colville, 1st Viscount Colville of Culross, a Conservative politician who served as Master of the Buckhounds and Tory Chief Whip. His mother was Lady Cynthia, a courtier. He had two younger brothers; Major Philip Robert Colville (1910-1997) and Sir John Rupert (Jock) Colville, (1915-1987), a British civil servant, Assistant Private Secretary to the Prime Ministers Chamberlain, Churchill and Attlee. Lionel Nathan de Rothschild (1882-1942) was a close friend of the Colville brothers.

His mother, Lady Cynthia, was the daughter of Robert Crewe-Milnes, 1st Marquess of Crewe by his first wife, the former Sibyl Graham, daughter of the Graham Baronets of Netherby. His maternal grandfather, a Liberal Cabinet minister, remarried Margaret (Peggy) Primrose, daughter of Lord Rosebery, Archibald Philip Primrose (1847-1929) and Hannah Countess Rosebery (née de Rothschild) (1851-1890). In 1933, David Colvillee married Lady Joan Child-Villiers, daughter of the 8th Earl of Jersey.

David Colville joined LLoyd's Bank from university in 1932, and by 1939 was treasurer. He left joint stock banking in 1946, when he entered N M Rothschild & Sons. A century and a half of tradition ended in July 1960, when David Colville became the first non-family member formally to be made a Partner at New Court (though he had already occupied a desk in the Partners’ Room for some time). He was Chairman of Rothschild Investment Trust, and also a director of Bowmaker and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron.

Mr Colville is depicted in The Conversation Piece of 1963, the painting by Norman Hepple of the Partners in the Partners' Room, Old New Court.

Business papers of David Colville


NMR files of Mr David Colville in the NMR 53 series Special Correspondence: Mr David Colville were destroyed between 1979-1989 as part of routine records management within the business.