The Daily Gold Price Fixing
You are here: / The London banking house / The Daily Gold Price Fixing
By 1850, the five companies - N M Rothschild & Sons, Mocatta & Goldsmid, Pixley & Abell, Samuel Montagu & Co. and Sharps Wilkins were already established and flourishing. The term 'London Gold Market' refers to these five companies who came together to oversee the operation of the gold market in London.
In 1919, it set up the first Gold Price fixing at the offices of N M Rothschild & Sons at New Court. For more than 80 years, the offices of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited in St Swithin’s Lane, close to the Bank of England, provided the setting for a twice daily ritual which, though conducted behind closed doors in a small room and with few players, had an impact across the world: the Gold Fixing.
On 14 April 2004, N M Rothschild & Sons Limited announced its withdrawal from commodities trading, including gold. The decision was taken following a strategic review of the services offered by N M Rothschild & Sons. As part of this decision, N M Rothschild & Sons announced its withdrawal from the twice daily London Gold Fixing which it had chaired since 1919. On 4 May 2004, the final Gold Fixing to be hosted by N M Rothschild & Sons took place in the Gold Fixing Room at New Court. On 26 May it was announced that Barclays Capital had acquired N M Rothschild's seat on the London Gold Market Fixing.
To coincide with the centenary of the Gold Fixing in September 2019, The Rothschild Archive has created a new microsite dedicated to the history of Rothschild and Bullion. The site features pages on Gold Trading, Gold Mining, and Gold Refining (focusing on the activities of the Rothschild Royal Mint Refinery). The site includes a history of the Gold Fixing, and for the first time, a comprehensive list of the daily Gold Prices 1919-1968 is available to researchers. A Rothschild Research Forum account is required to access this site. Apply for membership of the Rothschild Research Forum here »