The 1970s: N M Rothschild & Sons Limited
You are here: / The London banking house / The London house: history / The 1970s: N M Rothschild & Sons Limited
In 1970, N M Rothschild & Sons became the last London accepting house to relinquish its private partnership status, becoming N M Rothschild & Sons Limited, with Edmund de Rothschild (1916-2009) assuming the title of Chairman.
The bank took full advantage of the resurgence in the money markets and the new opportunities for banking created in the 1960s and 1970s. The corporate finance division was developed and strengthened to service an ever-widening arena of company mergers and acquisitions; investment management grew alongside the bank's traditional banking services; overseas operations were expanded with the opening of a network of offices abroad.
In 1976, Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild (1910-1990) briefly became Chairman of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited, succeeding Edmund who retired after 28 years of service with the family firm. Victor was succeeded as Chairman in 1976 by Evelyn (later Sir Evelyn) de Rothschild (1931-2022), who led the bank into new markets and territories.