Tring Engineering Limited: sundry papers
During the Second World War, the Royal Mint Refinery established a separate factory in The Silk Mill in Brook Street, Tring, Hertfordshire which appears to have been run under the name of R.M.R Engineering. Tring Park had been the country estate of Nathaniel, 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915), and the Rothschild family had substantial land holdings in the area. The Silk Mill site became an engineering works with its own foundry. Parts for aircraft engines, airframes, tanks and many other items were manufactured for assembly elsewhere.
After the war, the Tring operations were retained. In 1960 R.M.R. Engineering became the trading name for Tring Engineering Limited which was incorporated on 23 June 1960. This company was limited by shares of which N M Rothschild & Sons owned 1 share and Rothschild Nominees Limited owned the remaining 74,999. The works at Tring continued to manufacture parts for the aviation industry into the late 1950s, and diversified into new products such as ticket machines and lipstick cases and containers for the cosmetic industry. Negotiations for the sale of the business to Associated Tooling Industries Limited took place in 1966, and for the sale of the land to Elkvale for primarily residential development in 1974.
Royal Mint Refinery: Tring Engineering, examples of items manufactured during the Second World War, c.1939-1945
000/612, 2 items
Royal Mint Refinery: Tring Engineering, examples of items manufactured during the Second World War: detonator case and duralumin pipe fitting (Tring operations), brass fuse cap.
Royal Mint Refinery: Tring Enginering, sundry business papers, 1967
000/835, 1 item
Copy of Trust Deed between NMR, Rothschild Executor & Trustee Company Limited and Tring Engineering, 29 December 1967.