You are here: / The Paris banking house / Banque Rothschild
Following French government reform of banking regulations, de Rothschild Frères became Banque Rothschild, a limited-liability company in 1967; Banque Rothschild was created on 1 Jan 1968 as a limited liability company, functioning as a deposit bank. Guy de Rothschild was the Chairman, with Alain and Elie as vice-chairmen and their English cousin Evelyn de Rothschild (b.1931) on the board.
It was a time of great change, at Easter 1970 a new building at 21 rue Laffitte, Paris was inaugurated, replacing the original buildings first occupied by James de Rothschild 150 years earlier. In 1970 a new mutual fund ‘Rothschild-Expansion’ was created. In 1978 Guy’s son, David de Rothschild (b.1942) became general manager of Banque Rothschild, and Elie’s son, Nathaniel (b.1946), also joined the bank. Guy retired in 1979, and was succeeded by Elie as chairman of Banque Rothschild. In 1980 Alain retired. By end of that year the deposits in the bank were 3.4 billion frs and ranked in top 15 French commercial banks, and the business employed 1,350 people.