Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

Circulars

M M de Rothschild Frères: circular concerning indemnity payments to Austria, 1817

000/1994/2, 1 item

Circular from Gontard and Rothschild concerning French indemnity payments to Austria, Vienna 21 August 1817.

M M de Rothschild Frères, circular announcing the change of name of the Paris banking house, 1817

000/573/23, 1 item

Circular notifying alteration of the name of the Paris banking house from J M de Rothschild to de Rothschild Frères, 1817. James Mayer de Rothschild (1792-1868) was in Paris from the age of 19, co-ordinating the purchase of specie and bullion for his brother Nathan (1777-1836). Between 1814 and 1815 he was the lynchpin in Nathan’s plan to supply Wellington’s armies with funds. Originally trading as J M Rothschild, James changed the name of the firm to de Rothschild Frères with James, Amschel (1773-1855), Salomon (1774-1855), Nathan (1777-1836) and Carl (1788-1855) as partners. By 1823 the Paris House was firmly established as banker to the French government.