Sundry papers held in London
The Archive holds very few papers of loans issued by the Paris banking house, with the exception of the few sundry papers listed below.
For papers relating to loans undertaken in partnership between the London and Paris banking houses see The London banking house.
M M de Rothschild Frères: loans business, Société Anonyme du Canal de Jonction de la Sambre à l'Oise: coupon, 1838
000/2718, 1 item
Société Anonyme du Canal de Jonction de la Sambre à l'Oise: first coupon of 1000F of a share of 5000F, Paris 1838. An official document announcing the awarding of the contract of the Société Anonyme du Canal de Jonction de la Sambre à l'Oise, 1835 will be found in 000/2169.
The Sambre à l'Oise canal is a channel with a Freycinet-gauge partition reach connecting the Sambre and Oise valleys, 71,000 km long, with 38 locks. It links the municipalities of Landrecies (North) and Tergnier (Aisne). Up to Oisy, the canal closely follows the course of the Sambre. The canal returns to the Oise valley at Vadencourt 19 locks below and continues its course along the river to join at Fargniers (municipality of Tergnier) the lateral canal to the Oise and the Saint-Quentin canal.
It was constructed at the beginning of the 19th century with the aim of supplying Paris with Belgian coal extracted in the mining basin of Charleroi, the production of the mines of Valenciennois no longer being sufficient. The company managing the canal was among the first listed on the Paris Stock Exchange. It was created with the help of Société Générale de Belgique. Baron James de Rothschild (1792-1868) was one of the first administrators, as well as Count Henri de Baillet and the governor of Belgium Ferdinand de Meeûs, and Frédéric Basse and Samson Davilliers.
M M de Rothschild Frères: loans business: Banque des Etats-Unis, bond signed by Alphonse de Rothschild, 1859
000/1761, 1 item
Bond issued by the Banque des Etats-Unis [Bank of the USA], and signed by or on behalf of Alphonse de Rothschild (1827-1905), de Rothschild Frères acting as paying agents. The original bond appears to have been issued in 1839 as part of a process of liquidation; this document is a continuation of that bond and was issued in July 1859. The bond contains stamps indicating payment of capital and interest, from 1859 to 1889.