The Paris house: history
You are here: / The Paris banking house / The Paris house: history
de Rothschild Frères, Paris
Banque Rothschild, Paris
The Paris house, de Rothschild Frères, can trace its origins back to 1811, when James Mayer de Rothschild (1792-1868) first arrived in Paris, co-ordinating the purchase of specie and bullion for his brother Nathan (1777-1836). Formally establishing the third of the Rothschild business houses in 1817, the bank James created survived until 1981-1982, when it was nationalisaed by the French government.
Following nationalisation of the historic business, the French Rothschild family began again, creating a number of new business ventures, once again bearing the Rothschild name from 1986. The business today known as Rothschild & Co. is a combination of these new businesses, and the historic London house, N M Rothschild & Sons Limited.
In the 1950s, the branch of the French Rothschild family who settled in Switzerland also established highly successful finance businesses.
Read more about the history and development of the French Rothschild businesses here.