Little business correspondence of the Vienna banking house survives.
In the collections of records of the London banking house will be found material relating to the Vienna business, including correspondence to the London bank.
Some items of sundry correspondence have been purchased by the Archive from other authograph collections.
S M von Rothschild: sundry business correspondence of Salomon von Rothschild concerning the Prussian loan of 1818, 1818
000/2877/3, 1 item
Sundry business correspondence of Salomon von Rothschild concerning the Prussian loan of 1818: letter signed by Salomon Mayer Rothschild, London, 27 March 1818, to the Frankfurt bankers Jacob Friedrich Gontard and Sons, in London. The letter concerns the 1818 5% loan issued to the Prussian government, which was a landmark in the creation of an international bond market: "In order to remain true to my promise, and from the especial friendship which I express for your worthy house, I hasten to communicate you in confidence that the royal Prussian loan to be negociated by our house in England has now been finalised, all but a few customary formalities". Salomon Mayer explains the terms of the loan, and offers his correspondent the opportunity of subscribing £50,000.
S M von Rothschild: sundry business correspondence of Salomon von Rothschild, 1841-1852
000/1645, 000/2013/1-2, 000/2013/5, 000/2013/9, 000/2283, 000/2877/3, 8 items
Salomon Mayer von Rothschild (1774-1855), sundry correspondence. Many of these items have been acquired individually by the Archive.
- Letter of introduction for Mr. Beer written from Salomon Mayer von Rothschild to Rudolf Rt. von Vivenot (1807-1884) asking that he be recommended to Count Czernin. Dated 31 January, no year given. (000/1645);
- Letter from Salomon Mayer von Rothschild to 'Dear Friends' [his clerks at the Viennese Bank] with news of a bid from Sina Bank for a house in the Renngasse and request to find more information from Metternich, 12 August 1844, This letter enclosed 000/2013/9, a letter from Edmund Goetz, Prior zu den Schotten to SM von Rothschild regarding house on the Renngasse, Vienna, 7 August 1844. (000/2013/2 and 000/2013/9);
- Two letters, signed by Salomon von Rothschild, 7 July 1848 and n.d. These letters were originally in a collection of autograph letters of the Berlin banker, Paul Wallich (1882-1938). (0002877/3);
- Letter to Wertheimstein, Goldschmidt, Goetzl, Seligmann, Zerkowitz, Bilhuber, Kehrer, Neustueck, Puzin and Holt with thanks for loyalty, Paris 11 June 1845. (000/2013/5);
- Letter from Salomon to Friedrich Bietherbek, 3 March 1852. In the letter he expresses his regret at his correspondent leaving his employment with the Rothschilds, due to increasingly poor eyesight, having fulfilled his work 'with such diligence and punctuality' and expressing his thanks for Bietherbek's 'accurate knowledge'. (000/2283);
- Letter to a friend with news of an assassination attempt on the Duc d'Aumale, 9 September 1841 (000/2013/1).
S M von Rothschild: letters of congratulation from employees on the birthday of Salomon von Rothschild, 1844; 1851
000/2013/3, 4, 6, 3 items
Salomon Mayer von Rothschild (1774-1855), sundry correspondence concerning birthday congratulations. Many of these items have been acquired individually by the Archive.
- Letter to Salomon von Rothschild von Rothschild from 'his devoted servants' on his 70th birthday, 5 September 1844. (000/2013/3)
- Letter from Salomon von Rothschild to 'friends and colleagues' with thanks for wishes on his on his 70th birthday, Frankfurt, 9 September 1844. (000/2013/4)
- Letter from Salomon von Rothschild to his Viennese employees with thanks for loyalty and good wishes on his 78th Birthday, Paris, 8 October 1851. (000/2013/6)